Sunday, April 10, 2011

Testing the Limits

I can't believe we almost have two toddlers instead of a toddler and a baby! Ryan will be one later this month, and I am completely in denial. He loves to walk around the house with the aid of a little walker toy and is trying to talk all the time. Part of that is testing how and when we will tell him "no." I guess challenging authority will continue with these guys until they are well into their teens, but with two under the age of three, it seems as if almost every interaction has some type of challenge involved. With Ryan it has to do with climbing furniture and putting random things in his mouth (like anything he finds on the floor). With Lily, it's acting out when she's jealous of our attention being on Ryan.

I've noticed that having two kids has made me much more comfortable with my "mom" label. Not that I was uncomfortable with it when it was just Lily, but I was much more conscious of other people when it was just us and her. Now, it' not unusual to catch me singing a nursery rhyme in public (scary if you've heard my singing voice!) or give Lily ultimatums about her behavior (i.e. we'll leave the store if she doesn't behave). I never in a million years would have thought you'd catch me singing in public!

school picture March 2011




To celebrate Ryan's 1st birthday at the end of the month, we are going to get together with Mark's sister Melissa, and her family - their little guy, Connor turns one this week. The boys are just 13 days apart! We're headed to an indoor water park in Virginia that's about halfway for both of us (they live in Newport News, VA). Nana will also be joining us for the birthday fest! Ryan doesn't really understand yet, but Lily keeps talking about the pools and slides, so she's getting excited to go and see everyone! We also have plans to go to my sister's graduation over Mother's Day weekend in Rochester and my brother's graduation in Albany over Memorial Day weekend. It's going to be a busy couple of months!

Lily playing dress up at school last week

Those of you who have known me for a long time know that I am typically very good with birthdays, sending cards, etc. I don't know if it's the air in Pittsburgh or what, but I have been a complete slacker in that regard for the last six months or so. Here are some belated Christmas shots (from Mark's company Christmas party), and the New Year's card I never quite got around to sending out. My friend Lisa designed it, and she did an awesome job. I would highly recommend her if you need cards, invites, save the dates, etc. You can see her website here.





I know I mentioned Lily's love for dancing in my last post. Here is a little clip of what we get to see on a daily basis :)




Have a great week!

No comments: